猫にまたたび、御女郎に小判 Wer jetzt noch lacht, hat die neuesten Nachrichten noch nicht gehört. "THE OFFICIAL E.R.A. LITTER-BOX"

Friday, March 12, 2010

CCxx---













































Nov 11
Guns stopped firing at 11 A.M. Who could imagine at 8:30 P.M. the night before that the war would end so soon? We went wild with joy. Took a walk to Meuse and saw one of the most horrible sights I ever witnessed. Fifth reg. boys were laying dead along the roads in columns. Some of the boys had gone through the whole war safely up to that time and then had to be sacrificed by someone's ambitions.

November 11, 1918 diary entry

It certainly was too bad and I feel sure that the guilty party will be made to suffer. This ends my story of experiences at the front and I surely feel that I did my best towards bringing an end to the war. I have just jotted down things to remind me of what I had to go thru to be a good Marine. Many things have been left unsaid but I will be reminded of them by the few things I have written. I hope my notes in the future will have a much more different tone and the heighth of my ambition now is to get home.

Followers